Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Working the Scene


Crime Scene Investigation has become one of the fastest expanding fields over the last several years thanks to the hit television show C.S.I that originally was set in Las Vegas. However, with the show’s continued popularity, there are now shows about the CSI branches in Miami and New York, as well as the military version, NCIS. However, after taking my Crime Scene and Crime Lab course as well as talking to the Coroner in my hometown, I am not only no longer allowed to watch the show (courtesy of my mom—love you!), but I am also acutely aware of all the improper protocol that the teams perform. So why on earth do I notice the wrong things on these otherwise smash hit television shows? Well, after learning from both a private investigator and a Coroner the proper ways a crime scene should be conducted, quite frankly, you can’t help it. Now you are probably thinking, please Morgan, tell me what exactly is so glaringly obvious that they do on the show that is so wrong, and why do you care. So, first of all, I care because it has to do with my career field; a field that is hard pressed for evidence and the actions that these characters are performing can actually diminish the amount of usable evidence. For clarification, usable evidence is evidence that has not been contaminated, contaminated by which I mean with the DNA of one of the other people working the crime scene. So before I begin, I would like to say that I do in fact enjoy these shows even though they are not entirely correct in the way they handle things; it is also a reminder that not all cases are handled properly, like the Jon-Bonnet Ramsey case which is still yet to be solved. *A general aside, if you are a fan of CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, or NCIS and do not want to be acutely aware of the improper techniques used on the show, I advise that you stop reading immediately.*

The CSI television show, since limited to a short showing time, is unable to demonstrate all the processes of a crime scene investigation appropriately. First of all, when the team first arrives on scene, generally on the immediate area around where the crime occurred is taped off; however, the responding officer to what is usually a 911 call is responsible for securing the scene. This means that they are marking off a large area around the scene where there is potential for evidence to be found. In the case of a crime taking place in the home, everyone is removed from the home, unlike the television show that just has the wife of the victim go sit on the couch in another room. Likewise, a log is maintained of who has been in the crime scene and if anything was removed. Those that do enter the scene usually try to follow the same path throughout the scene to minimize the disturbance of the scene.

After the scene is secured and the log created, the team takes video and several sets of photographs. This is an extremely long process since the team has to take pictures from a distance, medium distance, and up close of all materials that may be part of the investigation; as well they take those same photographs with measurements next to the item as a reference. After this is complete the collection of evidence can begin. HOWEVER, the main point that I need to make—because it pertains to my career field the most—is this: no one, I mean no one, except the coroner touches the body! The only other people that touch the person are the paramedics if they are trying to resuscitate the person, or check for vital signs. That is the biggest mistake that the show makes; they have anyone on scene searching the pockets of the victim for some form of identification. In reality, again, only the coroner can touch the body and anything that is on, in, or around it. Why is this?

As a forensic pathologist it will be my job to determine the cause, manner, and time of death. The positioning of a body can tell a lot about how that person died, so if someone moves it, part of my investigation is over. However, as a forensic pathologist, I am actually not present on the crime scene, so it is up to the coroners that pick up the body for me to take excellent photographs and descriptions of the body before I see it. The can also decide to bag the hands and feet if they feel that there is potentially DNA from the perpetrator as a result of defensive struggle.

Again, the CSI family of shows is something that I do still enjoy. However, as I prepare for a career in this very same field, I do recognize that their mistakes can actually make my job harder and therefore am attuned to those mistakes. As I continue my coursework for this career path, I plan to continue to watch these similar shows in order to learn these different mistakes that can occur in the field and to see how different mysteries of bodily injury are solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers