Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Miracle of Plastic


As I had mentioned in previous blogs, one path that a donated body may take is that of plastination. This process is one that has been taking the nation by storm in the commonly visited "Body Worlds" exhibit and other similar imitations. I was fortunate enough over spring break to experience the "Body Worlds" exhibit for the second time in Denver Colorado. Just a quick note, if you have seen this exhibit the majority of the displays remain the same-the basics you could say-but there are differences in the displays which means that going to the exhibit more than once is worth the time and the admission. So, I was able to see this display for the second time, this time with other Trinity pre-med students and let me just say that I could walk through this exhibit a hundred more times and still enjoy it--no, not just because I want to be a forensic pathologist, most people do enjoy it. What was unique about this experience was that, not only was I able to recognize and identify more of what I was looking at since I have taken an anatomy course between my last visit and this one, but also that I could take my time and discuss what I was looking at with others that were interested. Most of the displays are in glass cases and are not to be touched, but this time I was able to touch a cross section of tissue and a heart that had been platinized while I was learning about the plastination process from some museum representatives!

For those of you who have not had the "Body Worlds" experience—DO IT!!!—the display, or rather series of displays, are a variety of bodies that have had the skin removed and have been plasticized in different positions so that the audience is able to view the different components of the body from all different angles. There are also different organs, tissues, and systems on display away from the body as well as the entire development of a human baby up to birth. For some this may sound gruesome, but I assure you that with the amount of gore that the media shows these days this is hardly comparable--not to mention that all the blood has been removed from these bodies, and so they have a much cleaner look. In fact, the plastination process--at least what they can legally tell us because the process is patented--is rather simple. After the body is received, it is embalmed just as it would be if it were to be placed in a casket. The embalming process includes the draining of the blood. After words, where the blood is replaced with acetate, or nail polish remover, which removes any moisture that may be present. Then the plastic is put into the body and once that is done, the body is positioned using pullies and ropes. After the body is positioned, it is usually placed under a tarp where a "fixer" is steamed over it. This causes the plastic to set and the body to harden in the desired position. This process seems relatively easy, but for one body this may take over a year to complete.

One of the things that, at least in college, many forget is that you have to have a sense of humor. Luckily, the group that I went to the “Body Worlds” exhibit with is very good at keeping a good attitude. What I mean is that sometimes I will make comments, particularly around bodies or food, that I feel are not disturbing, but that turn other people's stomachs. In this particular instance, I was carefully examining the digestive system that was on display. My friend walked over and joined me upon which I said, "I'm really hungry, I could go for some pasta, or some pizza, or something like that." She looked at me and just started laughing. Thankfully the sight of human intestines, that many relate to pasta, doesn't bother her and she actually found my comments funny instead of revolting and soon shared that she too was hungry and pasta sounded appetizing.

At the exit of the exhibit, there is a book of comments. Quickly glancing through, the only comments I was able to spot were ones of amazement and awe, like myself the majority of the exhibit's visitors had enjoyed the experience. Also, there were cards where, if you wished to have your body plastinated after your death, they would send you more information. I took a card and will soon send it in to receive more information so that I can make the decision of where my body will land when my time here comes to the end.

Subscribe to my Podcast (iTunes)

Subscribe to my Podcast (RSS)




Discover Simple, Private Sharing at Drop.io

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers